A versatile artist overflowing with energy and a contagious joie de vivre, Benoit Bourque has been winning the public over more than 30 years. Charismatic, exuberant, warm, funny, limber, band’s sparkplug are a few words to describe him.
A musician, dancer, singer and caller, he has been a member of different bands with whom he toured extensively in North America and in Europe : Éritage, Ad vielle que pourra, Hommage à Alfred Montmarquette, Bourque et Bernard, Matapat, Le Vent du Nord, are all bands that enjoyed his talents and his exceptional charisma. Since 2012, he forms a duo – Bourque Émissaires – with his son Antoine.
Specialist of Quebec tradionnal dances, Benoit has presented lectures and workshops in many camps and festivals, showing his skill in step dancing and bones playing (wich is a family tradition: his dad and grandad were both bones players).
A founding member of Le Carrefour mondial de l’Accordéon, in Montmagny (Québec), he emcees both the outdoor concerts, at scène Montel, and the night concerts at the concert hall since 20 years.
Selected artist for the ‘’Artists in School’’ Program, a partnership in between the Ministère de la Culture et des Communications and the Ministère de l’Éducation du Québec, this program gives an oportunity to youg students from pre-elementary, elementary and high school students to have an access to arts and culture.
Since 2007, Benoit has also been involved in Music Therapy programs where he devotes several hours a week helping elderly, physically disabled and mentally challenged people experience the same joy he does learning, playing and enjoying music.
Since November 2008, he is a member of La Bottine Souriante.
- 2012 : nominated for a Félix award for Traditional album of the Year, ADISQ (La Bottine Souriante)
- 2012 : nominated for “Ensemble of the Year” at the Canadian Folk Music Awards
- 2006 : ‘’Best Traditional Artist ‘’, at the North American Folk Music and Dance Alliance (with Le Vent du Nord)
- 2005 : ‘’Best Traditionnal Album’’ at the Canadian Folk Music Awards (with Le Vent du Nord)
- 2005 : Nomination for ‘’Best Traditionnal Album’’ for a Félix at the ADISQ (with Le Vent du Nord)
- 2005 : ‘’Best concert of the year’’ from Bound for Glory , a live radio show in Ithaca, NY (with Le Vent du Nord)
- 2004 : Nomination for ‘’Best Traditionnal Album’’ for a Félix at the ADISQ (with Le Vent du Nord)
- 2004 : JUNO Award for ‘’Best Traditionnal Album/group’’ (with Le Vent du Nord).
- 2001 : Nomination for a JUNO Award for ‘’Best Traditionnal Album/group’’ (with Matapat)
- 1999 : Nomination for a JUNO Award for ‘’Best Traditionnal Album/group’’ (with Matapat) Since
- 1997: Four times a selected Taditionnal Arts Master by the Maine Arts Commission
- 1993 : Gazetta Newspaper’s Award from Poland for his ‘’Charm, smile and spontaneity”
- 1988 : Public’s Choice at the Moscow International Folklore Festival.